Saturday, September 04, 2010

Camp Rock 2 or How I Learned To Like The Jonas Brothers

As you may be aware if you've ever met me or read my blog, I watch a lot of Disney Channel. I try to never miss a DCOM (Disney Channel Original Movie) even though they have disappointed me in the past couple of years. The first Camp Rock was awful, so I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't hate Camp Rock 2, and was even more surprised that this had to do with the Jonas Brothers.

I've always written off the Jonas Brothers, but while I was watching this movie, I realized that I kind of like them (they had much more presence in this film than the first one). I'm still not crazy about their music, but I do respect them as musicians. They can't act, but they have an ability to poke fun at themselves (in one scene, Kevin Jonas's character tells his campers that if they want to be a lead singer, they need to wear tighter pants and learn how to play the tambourine).

In the only realistic part of the film, Nick Jonas's character Nate acts like a typical awkward teen who doesn't know how to talk to the girl he is interested in. When he finally opens up to her (this part is less realistic), he sings an adorable number, "Introducing Me." With lyrics like, "I like to use the word dude as a noun or an adverb or an adjective," it is smarter than standard tween fare.

I'm not saying that any of this takes away from the fact that the rest of the movie has laughable choreography, cheesy lines, and an over-the-top slow motion sequence, but the presence of the Jonas Brothers makes this movie slightly more bearable than any of the High School Musicals.

No comments: