Thursday, November 23, 2006

Only in New York City

When I am on vacation, it usually doesn't take me long to scope out the best public bathrooms. I've been to New York City enough times to know that the Marriott Times Square has some of the cleanest bathrooms in the midtown area (When I worked at the Virgin Megastore in Times Square, sometimes I would go across the street to the Marriott to use the restroom). But not everybody feels comfortable going to a hotel just to use the restrooms. For them, Charmin created a set of 20 restrooms that also doubles as a tourist attraction.

The restrooms, located on 46th and Broadway, were a gift for New Yorkers and tourists for the holiday season (what will happen to the restrooms after the holiday season remains unclear).

When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a long escalator. Fun music played as I rode to the top, and I felt as if I was riding into a Charmin commercial. And I basically was. When I reached my destination, one of the employees asked were I was from. This was for the website, which boasts how many tourists have visited from each country.

The line for the restrooms was so long I wondered if there was an amusement park ride next to the toilets. No, I was told by an employee, it's just that clean and free restrooms are hard to come by in the city.

For those who are looking to hang out, there are plenty of white couches. The walls provide a comforting atmosphere with decorations of cuddly Charmin bears. Music videos play for those who want to dance and there are also, of course, photo spots.

I never got a chance to see the actual bathrooms because I was too impatient to wait. Instead, I went to the Marriott.

For more info and photos, visit this website.

No comments: