Friday, February 16, 2007

Words are fun

I'm going a little stir-crazy. I've been locked in my apartment for two days after the snow storm. So I've been thinking about random things. And today I was thinking about the word "blog." I don't really like the sound of the word, it sounds like something really unpleasant, but I like multi-purpose words.

I used to work at the dining hall while I was at Tufts (they had the best white pizza ever) and we had to wear these shirts that said TUDS, which stood for Tufts University Dining Services. But we would call ourselves TUDS, as in people who work for dining service. The singular form is TUD, as in, "Who is that sexy TUD playing 'It Wasn't Me' in the dishroom?" (Sexy TUD can also be abbreviated to STUD). The great thing about the word is that it can also be a verb, as in, "I'm tudding tonight," or, "I can't go out tonight, I have to go tud."

Blog operates the same way. A blog is a noun, but blogging is a verb. And I have no doubt that it will soon be used as an adjective, as in "Have you ever noticed so-and-so has an inherent bloginess to him?"

This is what happens when it snows.

No comments: