Thursday, October 11, 2012

And Now A Quick Word About Revivals

Last night I saw the Broadway revival of Annie, now in previews. I realized this is the first time I've seen two Broadway revivals of the same show. (The only other show I've seen two Broadway productions of is Les Miserables, but one was the original and one was the revival.) The previous revival of Annie in 1997 was my second Broadway show. On my first trip to New York, I was allowed to pick one show to see with my mom (I chose Titanic) and the next night the whole family went to see Annie as my sister was 6 years old at the time and we wanted something that was appropriate for her.

This season, I've also seen Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (last revived on Broadway in 2005) and Edmond Rostand's Cyrano de Bergerac (last revived on Broadway in 2007) for the first time ever. I didn't get to see shows on Broadway regularly until I moved here at the end of 2007, so I missed a lot. It may seem too soon for both these revivals, but if someone who sees as much theater as I do is seeing them for the first time, I'm guessing I won't be the only one. I'm all for new and seldom-done shows, but there's always room for the classics and there will always be a new audience for them.

When I was at Annie, I was looking at all the kids, many of whom I assume were seeing their first Broadway show (and probably some of their parents were as well), just as my sister did 15 years ago, and it made me happy that Annie is back. I don't mean to sound preachy or sentimental, but it's just something I've been thinking about. Feel free to weigh in with your own revival thoughts and memories.

No comments: